Sunday, January 17, 2016

A Beginner's Makeup Collection


Ah, makeup. An undeniable guilty pleasure for the majority of the female population.  That being said, I know I can't be the only girl who gets overly excited when I get to take a peek inside other peoples' makeup collection, right? However, as a new makeup fanatic, I can't say my makeup collection is as impressive as other makeup goddesses. But, we all have to start somewhere, right?  In this post, I'll be sharing my current makeup collection as a newbie in hopes to guide others who are also starting out with makeup in the right direction.  All the products I mention are products I recommend using if you're a beginner in the world of makeup!


So, here's my baby makeup collection! She is about 5 months old and is growing at an exceptional rate. (Need to work on my jokes!) In the future, I really want to explore different makeup brands and branch away from my comfort zone of Maybelline and e.l.f products (Not saying I don't love these brands! I totally do!). I would really love to try out different brands such as L'Oréal, Benefit, Nars, and of course, MAC! Now, I've never owned a MAC makeup product, so that's definitely high on my to-purchase list.  But, enough rambling about what I want; because we all want things.  Rather, let's focus and appreciate what we have.

 
First up is face products.  I'm still trying to find what face products work best for me as I have very sensitive skin and many products make my skin break out. Nevertheless, here's my current face favorites:
  • Maybelline Fit Me
  • Rimmel Match Perfection
  • Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder (My all-time favorite powder! Goodbye shiny face!)
  • Maybelline BB Cream (This makes me skin breakout *pouty face*)
  • Rimmel BB Cream (Not suitable for my pale winter skin)
  • Maybelline Fit Me Concealer
  • elf Bronzer
  • Bronze Booster Glow-Boosting Pressed Bronzer (Again, too dark for my pale skin)
Next up: brushes. I'm a total beginner when it comes to brushes so I typically go for the most basic ones (which will be changing soon!) So for now, my brush collection is just your basics:
  • Powder brushes from elf
  • Foundation brushes
  • A knock-off Beauty Blender (Sorry, I don't have $20 to spend on a sponge haha)
  • An angled brush (used for my eyebrows)
  • Two blending brushes and two flat brushes for eyeshadow
When you're just starting out with makeup, it can be quite daunting to go into a store and see a wall filled of different makeup brushes for every use under the sun.  If you're just starting out like me, I recommend getting your basic brushes that I listed above.  This way, you'll be able to perform your basic techniques for your face and eyes without being too overwhelmed.
 

I'm quite ashamed at the fact that I have only three lip products (chap-stick doesn't really count).  Lipsticks are something I've always struggled to branch out and try. I never thought I could pull off a bright red or coral lipstick.  However, that's where confidence comes into play.  Confidence is something I've only struggled with in the past few years, so I'm determined to get my self-esteem back up as it's so important.  Confidence plays a role in everything from the way you carry yourself to the way you talk to other people. If you look down at the ground when passing other people, you send off negative vibes.  This is something I need to work on myself; so we're all in this together. Hey, if you want to wear a deep red or dark burgundy lipstick, do it! Here's my miniscule lipstick collection:
  • Chanel lip gloss in Levres Scintillantes-#164 (This was a gift. I could never afford anything Chanel!)
  • Wet n Wild in Dark Wine
  • L'Oréal in Jennifer's Nude
I think the perfect colors to start out with are nudes and a deep red because they are quite common colors so you feel like the whole world is staring at you!

 
My eye products consist of your typical mascaras, eyeliner, and brow products.  Here's what I currently have:
  • Maybelline the Colossal Volum Express
  • e.l.f. Eyebrow Kit (This is what I use everyday!)
  • e.l.f. Liquid Eyeliner (2016 goals include upping my winged eyeliner game!)
  • Avon waterproof mascara
  • e.l.f. Cream Eyeliner
  • Avon Darkest Black Eyeliner
  • Covergirl Flamed Out Shadow Pencil in #345
 

 Now, for the best part...eyeshadows! Since beginning to expand my makeup collection, I've fallen in love with different eyeshadow palettes.  I love the creativity you can put into your eyeshadow with different colors, which is a skill I'm still trying to master!
  • 21 Eyeshadow Palette from Forever 21 (Totally obsessed with these shades!)
  • Maybelline Expert Wear Eyeshadow in Hushed Tints
  • e.l.f. Flawless Eyeshadow in Golden Goddess
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze
  • (The last palette has no label on it, sorry!)
I wanted to write this post as a guide to starting up your own makeup collection.  It can be very confusing and daunting when first starting out with makeup especially when you have girls who are absolute professionals at makeup with a whole room filled with products.  For beginners like me, I recommend starting off with your typical drugstore makeup brands such as Maybelline, e.l.f., and L'Oréal.  This way, you're not spending a paycheck's worth of money on one lipstick and mascara at Sephora!  If you follow my guide, you'll be able to perform the basics of makeup and be able to work your way up from there!  I'll keep you all updated on my growing makeup collection and if you'd like to see individual reviews on some of these products, leave a comment below!  Thank you for reading and I hope some of you found this guide helpful. 
 
Much love,
Gabriella xx
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the tips!! You're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means a lot to me. :) xx

      Delete

© GAB About Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig