Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Products and Tips for Soft, Healthy Hair

 
 
If you've been reading my blog since I started a few months ago, you'll know that I used to have hair past my belly button. (Oh, those were the days!) However, I decided to take the plunge before the new year and chop it all off. Now, some of you may be thinking, "Why would you ever do that?!" Allow me to explain. 
While my long hair seemed like a dream, it was totally unhealthy. I had split ends that traveled all the way up my head and my hair fell out like crazy.  Would you believe me if I told you that my last hair cut had been over two years ago? Well, it's true.  I was so focused on growing my hair out as fast as possible that I never kept up with getting it trimmed every so often to rid those nasty split ends. That mistake ultimately led me to today; a girl who adores long hair but had to cut it off due to how unhealthy it was.
After I decided that cutting my hair was what I would have to resort to, I made a promise to myself that I would do my absolute best to keep my new shorter hair as healthy as possible.  In today's post, I will be sharing with you the haircare products I use to maintain soft, shiny, silky, healthy hair.
 
 
Let's start with the basics.  Shampoo and conditioner are the foundation of healthy hair.  Since cutting my hair, I've switched to the Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser shampoo and conditioner duo.  These products are designed for "distressed, damaged hair," which is exactly what I needed.  Garnier Fructis claims that this duo will "reconstruct and preserve strength for strong, rejuvenated hair," and I can tell you first hand that this claim holds true.  Since switching to these products, I have noticed a significant difference in how soft my hair looks and feels.  When I get out of the shower, I have hardly any knots and my hair remains smooth even after it dries.
Tip #1: Condition before Shampoo 
There has been a lot of talk about the positive effects of conditioning before shampooing from some of my favorite YouTubers and bloggers such as Emily Canham and Anouska.  And I can promise you that these claims are not a myth.  The reasoning behind this theory is that you will be washing out the weight of the conditioner from your hair, leaving you with bouncy, soft locks.  Say goodbye to flat and stiff hair and say hello to hair that is bouncy and full of life.
 
 
 Another of my holy grail products for soft, healthy hair are hair oils and serums.  Our hair needs necessary oils to stay healthy and if you're washing your hair too frequently, those oils are being stripped from your scalp.  I've been using the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Moroccan oil treatment for years now and I totally swear by it. I usually run this through the ends of my hair when it's still slightly damp and when my hair is completely dry, it is unbelievably smooth.  If I'm applying heat to my hair, I'll use this oil just before I style my hair in addition and it makes my hair look and feel insanely smooth.  The next product is one that I've just started using recently and it's the Carols Daughter Monoi Oil Repairing and Strengthening Serum.  I'll simply pump a dime sized amount on my hand and run it through my hair for added softness and protection.
Tip #2: Use Oil Treatments Regularly
There are so many different types of oil treatments out there from coconut oil to olive oil to Moroccan oil.  Give your hair some TLC at least once a week and do an oil treatment to ensure that your hair isn't missing out on essential oils for strong and healthy hair.
 
 
 
Back in middle school, I would straighten my hair every. single. day.  On top of that, I never applied any type of heat protectant.  Combine those two mistakes together and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster and destruction.  Once I did my research, I realized that if using heat is necessary, you have to use heat protectant.  Think about it; you're putting 300 degrees Fahrenheit (or more!) of heat to your precious hair.  My favorite heat protectant has been the TRESemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protectant spray.  Spray this stuff all over your hair, especially to the ends to keep your hair safe.  Don't make the mistake like I did by skimping out on heat protectant.  Save your hair the damage!
Tip #3: Reduce Heat as Much as Possible
I know, I know.  You're probably sick of people telling you that heat is the devil for your hair and you need to eliminate it completely.  However, I know that eliminating it completely is just not possible for many people.  Whether you shower before work and don't have time to let it air dry or you've got hair like a lion's mane, (I know how you feel) applying heat is a part of your daily routine.  Do yourself and your hair a favor by reducing the amount of heat you put on your hair to just a few times a week. There are so many heatless hairstyles you can do to achieve a similar look. Check out my blog post about my everyday heatless waves tutorial for some ideas! 
 
 
 
Thanks for reading and be sure to let me know you're favorite products and tips for healthy hair!
Much love,
Gabriella xx
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hair is one of the most revered parts of the body. Having shiny, smooth and healthy hair shows one is taking good care of her skin and body.
    http://silikonfreieshampoos.de

    ReplyDelete

© GAB About Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig